Legal and tax
Bangladesh – Cambodia – Indonesia – Laos – Myanmar – Vietnam
Founded in 2012 by Edwin Vanderbruggen and Jean Loi in Cambodia, VDB Loi is a network of leading law and tax advisory firms with offices in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam. VDB Loi is a collaborating firm of Andersen Global.
The key practice areas include foreign investment, energy and infrastructure, M&A, real estate, taxation, and finance. The Firm are renowned for award-winning deals in TMT, energy and infrastructure, manufacturing, and consumer goods in all of our jurisdictions and we pride ourselves on advising various industry-sector heavyweights.
Each of the offices have both locally-qualified lawyers and highly experienced international legal advisers, allowing us to provide in-depth local law advice that takes into account modern international standards and approaches, thus anticipating clients’ expectations and helping them reach their goals in the most efficient manner. We also have tax experts in all of our offices. Since any major deal is driven by tax considerations and regulatory requirements, we are able to offer fully integrated and seamless services across the entire spectrum of a matter.
Recent Work Highlights:
- China’s largest privately owned IPP. Assisted with the potential purchase of several renewable power projects and provided advice on a wide range of local issues.
- A major Chinese Wind Power Generation company. Advised on its acquisition of a wind project in Bangladesh.
- A2A Town (Cambodia) Co. Ltd. We assisted on the development of a large ecopark resort in Cambodia. We advised on the legal structuring of the project, and are currently handling the licensing.
- A Cambodian renewable project developer. As co-counsel in Cambodia, we assisted on the first-of-its-kind green bond issuance in Cambodia by an issuer in the solar power industry, including conducting a legal due diligence, issuing a legal opinion, and advising on corporate compliance, and key transactional documents.
- Diamond Generating Asia Limited. We advised as local counsel on a 600MW cross-border Laos-Vietnam wind power project, the first in Laos and arguably the largest wind farm project in the ASEAN region.
- Ratch Lao. Provided the full spectrum of services, both legal and tax, on the successful acquisition of shares in the largest private hospital in Laos.
- E-commerce Industry. We provided a comprehensive report on legal and tax due diligence in Myanmar with respect to the client’s business in the e-commerce industry.
- HK New Energy Investment Holdings. We assisted for incorporation, licensing, tax planning structure and legal advisory services for its Projects (renewable energy) in Myanmar.
- OCK Group. Acted as a local counsel in assisting with Due Diligence, documentation as well as multiple corporate structuring post-acquisition and financing advisory and implementation of the structure for pushing down the loan to Vietnam project companies.
- Acquisition of GreenYellow Group by Ardian As announced on 28 July 2022, Casino group, Tikehau Capital and Bpifrance have signed a put option agreement with Ardian, via its Infrastructure activity, in view of a sale of their majority stake in GreenYellow, the energy subsidiary of Casino group. VDB Loi team in Ho Chi Minh Office acted as Vietnamese local counsel working together with Taxand Arsene to advise Casino group on tax aspects of the transaction.